It’s never too early to start looking for an apartment. Here are some helpful tips when moving off campus and into your new apartment!.
Important things to know:
- You may need a cosigner. For those of you who don’t know what that means (I didn’t) this can NOT be one of your dumbass friends who buses at Cafe Gelato; it has to be someone who can financially back you aka your parents.
- Get roommates – it is so much more affordable and fun! Plus there isn’t a lot of single apartments near campus.
- You will need to put down a security deposit (honestly you might think your getting this back – your not; after a day at Grotto’s punching your bedroom wall might just seem like fun).
Must have things:
- A toolbox
- A plunger
- Dish towels
- Window blinds
Once you move in:
- Inspect your apartment and note any concern or repairs that needs to be taken care of. This will make sure you don’t get charged for anything that damaged before you moved in and will help you get things fixed right away.
- Make sure to get there before your roommates do so you can get first pick on rooms.
Questions you should ask (or just look on Udwell because landlords can be sketchy):
- What’s the monthly rent? When is the rent due?
- How much is the security deposit?
- What is the parking situation like?
- Am I able to re-paint the walls or make other modifications?